Post Office Ltd have now launched the consultation regarding the plans to close the existing Crown Post Office and create a new branch to operate from a dedicated open plan Post Office area on the ground floor to the rear of the WHSmith store. Access into the store will be level with an automatic door at the entrance.
Post Office Ltd say that they will be working with WHSmith to ensure there is sufficient space for Post Office customers, including wheelchair users. They plan to have fourcounter serving positions which has been based on current and forecast future business levels; three open plan style positions and one traditional style screened positions which will also provide travel money services.
What will this mean for customers?
• A new open plan branch in a modern retail environment
• The same wide range of products and services
• Longer opening hours
• Improved accessibility, an automatic door would be available at the entrance
These plans are under consultation and you can take part.
I’m told that the decision to change the branch to one that is operated by an agent rather than by the Post Office directly is not a matter for public consultation.
However, they welcome any feedback or general comments you may have about the proposed move and would particularly appreciate your views on the following areas:
• How easy it is to get to the proposed new location
• Are the proposed new premises easy for you to get into and are they easily accessible inside
• If there are any local community issues you think we should know about that might be affected by or affect the proposed move
• Is there anything you particularly like about the proposed change
• Do you have any suggestions that could help make the proposed move better
It’s easy to give your feedback by completing the online survey via the following link postofficeviews.co.uk and entering the unique code for this branch 01255599.
Most people I’ve met are concerned about this planned post office move. Despite a united effort to keep the current arrangement it is clear that Post Office Ltd is set on this move to WHSmiths. I urge everyone who is concerned to make their views known to the Post Office and also to attend the public event that is planned later this month.
I welcome the fact that the plan is to keep the post office in the town centre. However, a change of heart by the Post Office to keep our Crown Post Office would be much more welcome.